roadkids

Journal and photos of our travels in the West.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Date. Ummmm... probably Thursday, not sure of the number. I do know it's october. Oh, 20th.
We are now officially sad and blue, because the time with the kids is over. It's always difficult to come to terms with that. As much fun as we're having, I know it's because we've been propelled towards them in one way or another. We'll be fine, but it might take just a bit of time. Corey, Lissa, Ar, we love you guys so much. We are your needy, whiny parents who would be heaven only knows what without you. Thank you for making each breath we take more meaningful. I'm sitting at the edge of this beautiful lake in Nevada while Jack re-heats those potatoes from the crepe place in San Francisco, wiping away tears from loving you so much and wishing you were all here gathered around us. We will do that family reunion somehow, someday, hopefully fairly soon. And we'll have more time this time.
Fern take note; I know we're whatt we're doing seems dreamy, but you have 2/3 of your chicks gathered close by; lucky, lucky you.
Pat A., happy happy birthday. You are lookin good, you haven't aged a day since I met you. xoxoxoxo!
Jack is also missing the ocean. I will soon as well. We were lucky to have day after day of salt air and pelicans, that most heavenly of music when the waves land on shore. But we don't miss the crowds and traffic of CA; whew; how does anyone live there? It's good to be here right now looking out at a whole lot of absolutely nothing. We went past lake Tahoe yesterday and I think it was gorgeous. I think, because we'd stopped at McDonalds which we never do, for dinner, and they put something in that chicken sandwich that put me to sleep. I could barely keep my head up, and Jack (who luckily was driving) kept having to say Hon it's really pretty, you're missing it, look! I think I'll let another decade pass before another McD's attempt.
Now we're heading towards Utah, for the pink-rock phase of our trip. Hopefully it will bring more hiking and less eating out, or the camper won't make it up the hills carrying all our extra porkage. We're weak in the face of a Mexican or seafood or crepe or Thai or any other kid of restaurant, and I expect to hear from Wells Fargo any minute wondering if someone stole my Visa card. Excessive charges are showing up on your account, Ms. Arnold; shall we cancel the card for you? Pat E. is going to join us in Utah on Saturday; yippee! We'll go to the Humongous Animal Rescue Place (not the real name) while Jack tries to wear himself out on that crazy hike carrying 30 lbs. of camera gear PLUS his sleeping bag, tent, food, water etc. For all you Cookie fans, she is fine. Britt left to make room for Liz and Lyle who arrived a couple days ago and all is well in Eldorado at Cookie's house. I suspect she's forgotten all about us and that feeders/cuddlers are easily replaced. We're so lucky to have Britt, Liz and Lyle!
Arian, is that blue denim baseball cap really so bad? Be my roadtrip fashion advisor.
The frig froze everything again. I dreamt that some creep was outside the camper up to no good, which kept me awake and full of heeby-jeebies for a bit.
Weather is still beautiful. October remains my favorite month. My hands are cold but the sun is warm right now. Slight breeze. Yummy.
Goodbye from somewhere outside Fallon Nevada, under a huge cottonwood tree by a deserted lake. The drive today should be scenic/high desert and mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home