roadkids

Journal and photos of our travels in the West.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006


"I cannot create but that I have a woman with me..." -D.H.Lawrence

That is a scary position for an artist to be in, and a terrible burden for the woman involved. Poor Frieda.

Nancy, choosing not to be my Frieda, took a couple of days off at the Eureka Red Lion hotel and luxuriated in doing exactly what she pleased while Cookie and I tooled around the back roads of western Humboldt County, looking for images. I camped near the Rockefeller Grove, which is a collection of the tallest redwoods in the world.
I drove many back roads along the King Range and down to the Lost Coast, to the black sand beach. Here I gathered a few pebbles, one a pretty little heart shape which was black with white veins. Being autumn, the poison oak is bright red and orange, thereby revealing how ubiquitous the plant is in this area. It may grow as a large bush, or as a bright, colorful vine climbing a redwood.
I visited the little towns of Petrolia, Honeydew, Shelter Cove. Not a lot to say for any of them, except to note the sticker on the front door of the store in Honeydew that asserted "We Vote Pro-Gun"

Now we are back together, a bit further down the coast near Ft. Bragg. Hving found no very compelling images worthy of the view camera in Humboldt County, I was happy to find a beautiful rock formation on the beach here in Mendocino county. Sunset through an arch in one of the larger rocks is doing some some nice effect with the light, which I hope the film sees the way i do.

Tomorrow we head down to The City (San Francisco, Frisco, whatever) to meet up with Pat, Arian, Lissa and Corey for a big family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home